THE EUROPEAN UNION YOUTH ORCHESTRA CELEBRATES EUROPE DAY
Europe Day (9 May for the European Union) is an annual celebration of peace and unity in Europe.
The European Union Youth Orchestra performed at the annual 'Europe Day Concert' in St John's, Smith Square, alongside singers from the European Opera Centre:
Monica Bancos - soprano
Elsa Galasio - soprano
Sophie Rennert - mezzo-soprano
Camille Tresmontant - tenor
In the presence of friends, fellow musicians, EU dignitaries and the extensive Diplomatic community of London, the EUYO performed under the baton of Conductor Dominic Wheeler.
The programme was entertaining, varied and uplifting:
- Monteverdi: Orfeo, Toccata and Prologue
- Handel: Semele, Where e'er you Walk
- Gluck: Alceste, Divinities du Styx
- Purcell: Dido and Aeneas, When I am laid in earth
- Rameau: Dardanus, Tambourins 1 and 2
- Skalkottas, Five Greek Dances
- Vaughan Williams, The Wasps Overture
- Mozart, Idomeneo, Andro ramingo e solo
- Strauss, Idomeneo, Interludio in C Minor
- Offenbach, La Belle Helene, Finale
At the same time, a quartet from the EUYO performed in Vienna to celebrate Europe Day.
The musicians were:
Tobias Kausel – violin
Theresia Kluger – violin
Zsuzsanna Lipták-Pikó – viola
Marta Capella Pujals – cello
Their performance can be seen at http://ec.streaming.at/20140509 from minute 14.